Monday 30 October 2017

Here and Now


I have to go, I thought. I have to go.
But there he was. The one I finally realised, in my 17 years of existence, was indeed, irreplaceable. Here he was, in all his glory, late. I had waited two hours for him, and he arrived without uttering a single word. Instead, he took the seat in front of me, as if he were without sin.
“I need to go,” I stood up, gazing at him. His face was emotionless, as it always was, his eyes fixed on the menu he had picked up.
“Promised your boyfriend a date?” His words were playful, a smirk dancing on his lips. “Don’t you usually break all of your promises?”
“I’m not you,” I spat back. Finally, he looked up at me with a gleam in his eyes, his pearly white teeth on full display. “I’m leaving.”
He called the waiter over.
“I’m not joking with you, I’m leaving.”
“Stay,” He ordered, pointing at my seat. “One cappuccino please, skim.”
“I have to go!” I shook my head, my voice raised so much louder that even I was taken aback. He gazed at me.
“It doesn’t matter, stay here with me.” He dismissed the waiter, flinging the menu to the floor. He took out his phone and started to text someone.
“I hate you.”
He cocked an eyebrow, turning his head to the side, his eyes refusing to meet mine.
“I figured you wouldn’t care. I’m outta here.”
“Fine. If you really want to go, leave.”
I furrow my eyebrows at him, holding back tears.  He glances for a moment before returning to his message, humming a barely audible tune, but loud enough for both of us to hear. He thinks I’m going to fall for him, like I have always done.
But not today.
“Goodbye,” I mutter under my breath, grabbing my jacket and heading for the exit.
In an instant, he leapt out of the chair and grabbed my arm with such force I thought it would break. Spinning me around, he pulled me down towards him, engulfing me in his arms like a snake, his hot breath on my face, melting me.
He held me there, his chocolate eyes thirsting for mine. He leaned in, just far enough for his lips to meet mine.
Yet again he had proved he loved her. Yet again, he kept her in the here and now.


Katya Tjahaja 

No comments:

Post a Comment