Thursday 28 September 2017

You're welcome


And here I was, with my plastic bag full of mischievous knick-knacks from the grocery store that closed  7 hours ago. A train of thoughts traveled through my mind, some that were a little too odd for my mind to dismiss.
Where are they?
The question was the first of my doubts. In the beginning, I had brushed it off. But that was 30 minutes ago.
Okay, I admit, I was a tad early. That didn’t alter the fact that they were supposed to arrive 10 minutes ago.
I saw a figure stumble across the empty street, slugging his steps carelessly. I turned my body to him, watching as he reached the other end. My eyes stay fixed on him, a slight fear growing inside that he might just dash this way. His figure, shapeless and large - twice the size I am. He reaches to run his hands through his hair before reaching for his waist. I stand upright, ready to run, only to see him drop his hand and walk the other direction without glancing back.
I sighed.
Where are they?
I decided to stare at the empty brick wall to my left. I heard something run up behind me, a rat I assumed, or a squirrel.
Where are they?
“Hey, kid,” I flinched at the sound of a clear yet low voice. It sounded comical, made up, yet I didn’t dare turn around. “Ya got any money on ya?”
“No,” My voice trembled a little. I felt something cold against my neck.
“Don’t mind if I check, d’ya?” I shook my head, raising both of my hands.
Where are they?
The man tapped against my pockets, down my back. He was quite quick in his movements, rather gentle too. I breathed in a little.
“What ya got in ya bag?”
“Spray cans and tissue rolls.”
“Doing your mam’s grocery, eh?”
“I’m a good boy,” I reply without thinking. “I mean-“
He chuckled, cutting me off. I shut my lips and gulped. A shudder ran down my spine as he tapped the metal against my neck a few times.
“You know George, you really are a daft dimbo sometimes,” I spin around to see Charles, holding back his laughter and a metal ruler in his hands.
A choir of laughter followed by howling and name-calling came right after, and despite my initial terror, I smiled too.
“I can’t believe you-“
“I came just in the nick of time, didn’t I?”


Katya Tjahaja

No comments:

Post a Comment